New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/25/2023 6:43:25 PM
5.4.C Design Standards
1. The development shall preserve scenic natural views, including views from roadways, to the extent possible.
2. Sixty percent (60%) of the entire development site shall be open space, as defined below.
a. For the purposes of this section, open space includes the following:
i. Natural water features, wetlands, and conservation areas.
ii. Pedestrian trails and bicycle paths.
iii. Recreational facilities, such as swimming pools, tennis courts, and skate parks, limited to twenty percent (20%) of the total required open space.
iv. Parks and playgrounds.
b. For the purposes of this section, open space does not include the following:
i. Yards on individual lots or yards that are reserved for the use of an individual property owner.
ii. Dedicated streets, alleys, or other public rights-of-way.
iii. Vehicular drives, private streets, parking and loading areas, and storage areas.
3. Where possible, critical environmental features should be protected through conservation servitudes or other similar instruments.
4. Required open space shall be accessible to those using mobility devices, including but not limited to physically accessible amenities, accessible passage throughout open space, and accessible restroom and/or changing facilities if included in open space.
5. If the planned development includes a residential or commercial component, buildings within the planned development shall be grouped into clusters. A cluster may consist of a single building or a group of closely-spaced buildings. Clusters shall be located at least one-hundred (100) feet apart and shall be separated by open space as defined above.
6. Clear-cutting of forests is prohibited.