New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/21/2023 6:19:48 PM
1. Variances are authorized by the Board of Zoning Adjustments in accordance with Article 2, Section 2.6, Louisiana Revised Statute 33:4780.46, and Section 5-408 of the City Charter.
2. The Board of Zoning Adjustments may grant a variance from any of the standards or regulations in this ordinance, except the following in items 3, 4 and 5:
3. The development standards for conditional uses and planned developments, or any other matter designated by the City Council expressly within these zoning regulations, shall not be subject to variances by the Board of Zoning Adjustments. However, should there be a mix of permitted and conditional uses on the site, the development standards for the permitted use(s) shall be subject to variance by the Board of Zoning Adjustments. But the development standards for that use, portion of the use, or secondary use that triggers the conditional use or planned development, shall not be subject to variance by the Board of Zoning Adjustments.
4. The Board of Zoning Adjustments shall have no power to authorize uses in zoning districts which are not authorized in zoning district regulations.
5. The variance process shall not be used to allow prohibited sign types, including billboards.
Ord. No. 29,126, §4, Aug. 12, 2022, Zoning Docket 16/22