New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/30/2023 6:11:49 PM
24.9.C Attention-Getting Devices
1. Attention-getting devices are permitted for non-residential uses in the Commercial Center and Institutional Campus and Centers for Industry Districts.
2. Attention-getting devices are limited to a display of fourteen (14) days when not related to a date specific or, if date specific, may be erected no earlier than five (5) days prior to the event plus the duration of the event and shall be removed within three (3) days after the event. Attention-getting devices may be erected on a lot no more than four (4) times in a year and require a minimum of fourteen (14) days between display periods.
3. Attention-getting devices may not be erected or maintained in such a location or manner as may endanger the public safety, interfere with or obstruct pedestrian or vehicular travel, or create a traffic safety problem.
4. Attention-getting devices are not permitted within any public right-of-way.
5. As a condition of the issuance of a sign permit, requirements as to the material, manner of construction, and method of installation may be imposed to ensure the safety of the public.
6. Exterior laser light promotional displays require a sign permit and are subject to the following:
a. All such displays shall be designed and maintained so as to prevent beam rays of light from being directed at any portion of the traveled ways or adjoining property, and no light may be of such intensity or brilliance as to cause glare to or impair the vision of pedestrians, motorists, or aircraft pilots or passengers.
b. All light displays shall meet all federal guidelines.
c. In addition to the sign permit, operators shall obtain a special permit prior to the presentation of this type of advertisement. For each address, permits may be issued only twice a year with a minimum sixty (60) days interval between permits, and are limited to a display period of seven (7) consecutive days.