New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/30/2023 6:33:36 PM
24.14.C Billboard Standards
1. The height of billboards is limited to twenty-five (25) feet above the roadbed toward where the advertising is directed. Billboards adjacent to grade separated/elevated roadways are permitted to measure the twenty-five (25) foot height from the roadbed crown to the tallest projection of the structure. This measurement is taken at a perpendicular angle between the grade separated/elevated roadway and the sign location.
2. The area of billboards is limited to six hundred seventy-two (672) square feet of advertising surface on one side.
3. Billboards shall be separated from other billboards along either side of the same street by a minimum distance of one thousand (1,000) feet.
4. Billboards shall be setback from all property lines a minimum of five (5) feet.
5. Electronic billboards are permitted subject to the following:
a. Only one (1) electronic billboard is permitted per lot.
b. Electronic billboards shall be separated from other electronic billboards along either side of the same street a minimum distance of one thousand (1,000) feet except in conformance with the requirements of Article 25, Section 25.7 Legal Nonconforming Billboards Conversion to Electronic Format Trade System.
c. Each message or image displayed on a electronic billboard shall be static or depicted for a minimum of eight (8) seconds. Animation, streaming video, and images that move or give the appearance of movement are prohibited.
d. No illumination from any electronic billboard may glare into any residential premises or interfere with the safe movement of motor vehicles on public thoroughfares.
e. An electronic billboard shall not exceed a maximum illumination of six-thousand (6,000) nits during daylight hours, and a maximum illumination of five-hundred (500) nits between dusk and dawn, as measured from the sign’s face at maximum brightness. All electronic billboards shall have ambient light monitors, which automatically adjust the brightness level of the digital sign based on ambient light conditions.
f. No nonconforming billboard may be converted to an electronic billboard except in conformance with the requirements of Article 25, Section 25.7 Legal Nonconforming Billboards Conversion to Electronic Format Trade System.
6. No billboard may have audio speakers or any audio component.
Ord 28908 MCS, 1-6-22, ZD 64/21