New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/23/2023 10:24:58 PM
23.7.C Interior Parking Lot Landscape
For parking lots consisting of ten (10) or more spaces, interior parking lot landscape is required. (Figure 23-3: Interior Parking Lot Landscape) However, these planting provisions may be waived if the applicant presents an alternate landscape plan that provides a combination of tree canopy, landscape design elements, and/or non-reflective auto canopies, including solar panels and solar powered electric auto recharging stations, that shade a minimum of fifty percent (50%) of the parking lot paved surface within five (5) years of completion.
1. One (1) parking lot island shall be provided between every ten (10) contiguous parking spaces. As part of the landscape plan approval, parking lot island locations may be varied based on specific site requirements or design scheme, to be approved as part of the landscape plan, but the total number of islands shall be no less than the amount required of one (1) island for every ten (10) spaces.
2. In addition to parking lot islands, additional landscaped areas shall be provided within the interior of parking lots. All rows of parking spaces shall terminate in a parking lot island or landscaped area. The minimum total landscaped area, including parking lot islands, is ten percent (10%) of the total parking lot area, excluding any area of perimeter parking lot landscape.
3. Parking lot islands or landscaped areas shall be at least one-hundred sixty (160) square feet in area. However, parking lot islands shall be the same dimension as the parking stall. Double rows of parking shall provide parking lot islands that are the same dimension as the double row.
4. Parking lot islands or landscaped areas shall be designed to apply sustainable techniques allowing the flow and access of stormwater. Such islands and landscaped areas shall be depressed below grade and provide an underdrain to ensure drainage within forty-eight (48) hours of each rain event. Such parking lot islands or landscaped areas shall be protected by tire stops or curbing with gaps a minimum of six (6) inches that allows runoff to flow from the parking area to the depressed landscaped areas.
5. The following plantings are required in parking lot islands and landscaped areas:
a. Trees, preferably with capacity for high water retention, shall be the primary plant materials used in parking lot islands and landscaped areas. Other plant materials may be used to supplement the shade tree plantings but shall not create visibility concerns for automobiles and pedestrians.
b. One (1) shade tree is required every parking lot island or landscaped area. If the island extends the width of a double row, then two (2) shade trees are required.
c. Shrubs shall be planted within the parking island to provide another layer of planting for visual interest.
d. A minimum of seventy-five percent (75%) of every parking lot island shall be planted in live groundcover, perennials, or ornamental grasses. Mulch is required to fill in planting areas for early growth protection until the groundcover is established and covers the planting area. It is encouraged to mulch bare areas for three (3) to five (5) years, or until the plant material is fully established in the parking islands.
FIGURE 23-3: INTERIOR PARKING LOT LANDSCAPE
Ord. 27,683 MCS, §6, March 6, 2018, Zoning Docket 086-17