New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/23/2023 9:40:27 PM
23.7.B Perimeter Parking Lot Landscape
Perimeter parking lot landscape provides for the enhancement and screening of parking lots by requiring a scheme of landscape along public streets. A perimeter landscape yard is required for all parking lots and the landscape treatment shall run the full length of the parking lot where it abuts a public right-of-way, excluding an alley. In the case of parking located at the front of the building, the front landscape yard requirements control. The perimeter parking lot landscape yard shall be improved as follows: (Figure 23-2: Parking Lot Perimeter Landscape Yard)
1. The perimeter landscape yard shall be a minimum of five (5) feet in width.
2. A single hedge row is required, planted with one (1) shrub every thirty-six (36) inches on center to form a continuous visual buffer. At the time of planting, the shrubs shall be at three (3) to five (5) gallons in size or twenty-four (24) inches in height and a minimum of thirty-six (36) inches to a maximum of forty-eight (48) inches in height at maturity.
3. A minimum one (1) foot of width of groundcover or mulch. All mulch shall derive from a living, natural source.
4. One (1) shade tree every forty (40) feet on center or one (1) ornamental tree every twenty-five (25) feet on center spaced linearly. Trees may be spaced at various intervals and/or clustered based on specific site requirements or design scheme to be approved as part of the landscape plan. Shade trees are defined as having a height of over forty (40) feet at maturity, ornamental trees are defined as having a height of less than forty (40) feet at maturity.
5. An ornamental fence a minimum of four (4) feet in height is required, subject to the following materials:
a. Metal Picket
6. Alternatively, a low pedestrian wall, the height of which provides effective screening to a maximum height of three (3) feet, may be used instead of shrubs and an ornamental fence. Where possible, plant materials shall be installed between the sidewalk and the wall to provide a softening effect on the wall.
7. All perimeter parking lot landscape areas shall be protected with raised concrete curbs.
FIGURE 23-2: PARKING LOT PERIMETER LANDSCAPE YARD