New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/30/2023 6:04:17 PM
1. Apiaries are permitted to locate only in rear yards, and shall be located a minimum of five (5) feet from all lot lines and ten (10) feet from any dwelling.
2. One (1) bee colony is permitted per lot. An additional bee colony is permitted for each two-thousand (2,000) square feet of lot area above the first one-thousand five-hundred (1,500) square feet.
3. All bee colonies shall be kept in a removable frame hive in a sound and usable condition.
4. Where any colony is situated within twenty-five (25) feet of any lot line, as measured from the nearest point on the hive to the property line, a flyway barrier at least six (6) feet in height is required consisting of a dense vegetation, fence, solid wall, or a combination thereof, that is parallel to the property line and extends ten (10) feet beyond the colony in each direction to force bees to fly at an elevation of at least six (6) feet above ground level over the property lines in the vicinity of the apiary.
5. A convenient source of water shall be provided and available to the bees at all times during the year.
6. In any instance in which a colony exhibits unusual aggressive characteristics by stinging or attempting to sting without due provocation or exhibits an unusual disposition toward swarming, the beekeeper shall promptly re-queen the colony.