New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/21/2023 6:10:20 PM
20.3.WWW OUTDOOR LIVE ENTERTAINMENT - SECONDARY USE
1. Outdoor live entertainment – secondary use may only be established when allowed within a zoning district and in conjunction with a bar, standard restaurant, indoor or outdoor amusement facility, winery, micro-distillery, distillery, micro-brewery, brewery, reception facility, cultural facility, or for the common outdoor areas of a hotel. All outdoor live entertainment at these establishments requires an outdoor live entertainment-secondary use approval. The establishment serving as the primary use must remain open while any live entertainment takes place.
2. Outdoor live entertainment – secondary use establishments shall submit a noise abatement plan, to be reviewed by the Director of Safety and Permits, and all other appropriate City agencies, which shall address the intended use of amplification, noise levels, and need for soundproofing.
3. Because outdoor live entertainment – secondary use is only allowed with a bar, standard restaurant, indoor or outdoor amusement facility, winery, micro-distillery, distillery, micro-brewery, brewery, reception facility, cultural facility, and the common outdoor areas of a hotel, when the submittal requirements of live entertainment – secondary use and the underlying primary use of the establishment are duplicated, only one (1) set of submittal requirements is required to be submitted and updated.
4. For all uses except a hotel, public market, and outdoor amphitheater, outdoor live entertainment is limited to the hours of 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Sunday through Thursday, and from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. For a hotel, outdoor live entertainment is limited to the hours of 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Monday through Thursday; from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday; and 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Sunday. For a public market and outdoor amphitheater, no outdoor live entertainment - secondary use approval is required; outdoor live entertainment is ancillary to these uses, with restrictions provided in the respective use standards.
5. Outdoor live entertainment shall be limited to three (3) days per week, unless otherwise specified in the conditional use.
6. Outdoor speakers and instruments shall be directed away from adjacent residences to the greatest extent possible.
7. Compliance with the New Orleans Sound/Noise Ordinance is required.
8. A 30-foot buffer area shall be maintained between the outdoor live entertainment area as indicated on a site plan and a residential district or use.
9. In the Vieux Carré Districts, outdoor live entertainment – second use shall be prohibited.
10. No outdoor live entertainment is permitted upon balconies or galleries.
11. All granted Outdoor Live Entertainment conditional uses shall be published on a dedicated City website/URL by municipal address with accompanying provisions or any other addendums.
Ord 29157 MCS, 9-12-22, ZD030/22