New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/30/2023 5:46:47 PM
20.3.TT Public Market
1. Hours of operation are limited to 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., unless otherwise extended by the provisions of an overlay zoning district.
2. All size restrictions shall be consistent with the retail sales size restrictions in the zoning district, if applicable.
3. No portion of a public market may encroach onto the public right-of-way or be placed in such a way that requires customers to occupy the sidewalk or the public right-of-way.
4. The sale of food for consumption on or off the premises requires licensing by the City and approval by the Department of Health.
5. The sale of firearms, adult retail goods, and sexually-oriented devices is prohibited.
6. The retail sale of packaged alcoholic beverages is only allowed where such use is allowed as a permitted use in the zoning district in which the public market is located, or when approved through the conditional use process where such use is a conditional use in the zoning district where the public market is located.
7. In all districts except the Historic Core and Open Space Districts, fencing and landscaping shall be provided along all interior side and rear property lines of a site on which a public market is located. A fencing and landscaping plan shall be submitted for the review and approval of the Executive Director of the City Planning Commission.
8. Unless otherwise extended by the provisions of an overlay zoning district, outdoor live entertainment is allowed as an ancillary use of a public market, subject to the following restrictions:
- Outdoor live entertainment hours are limited from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Market booths, their circulation areas, permanent structures, and setbacks from property lines shall constitute at least 50% of the site area.
- Compliance with the New Orleans sound/noise ordinance is required.
- A 30-foot buffer area shall be maintained between the outdoor live entertainment and a residential district or use.
- Outdoor speakers and instruments shall be directed away from adjacent residences to the greatest extent possible.
Ord.28275 MCS 12-19-19, ZD 81/19; Ord 29157 MCS, 9-12-22, ZD 030/22