New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/21/2023 5:24:45 PM
20.3.SSS Dwelling, Small Multi-Family Affordable
- Small Multi-Family affordable developments shall contain no more than four dwelling units. At least one unit shall be rented to households earning no more than eighty percent (80%) of the Area Median Income (AMI) according to the Department of Housing and Urban Development's annual AMI guidelines.
- The affordable rental unit shall be priced to be affordable to households with incomes equal to or below seventy percent (70%) of AMI.
- The affordable housing unit shall be maintained for a minimum term of fifteen (15) years.
- The affordable unit shall not be less than 500 square feet in gross floor area.
- The affordable unit shall be comparable to the market-rate dwelling unit in terms of floor area and exterior finishes. Interior finishes or appliances may be different as long as functionality and longevity are retained.
- All Small Multi-Family Affordable developments shall utilize the bulk and yard regulations for MF structures unless explicitly stated otherwise in the bulk and yard regulations for the respective zoning districts.
- Small multi-family affordable developments must have a covenant or deed restriction to ensure the affordable housing unit remains affordable for the 15-year period. This covenant or deed restriction must be disclosed to prospective buyers. The deed restriction shall be recorded in the Office of Conveyances and a copy of the recorded document needs to be submitted to the Department of Safety and Permits, Inclusionary Zoning (IZ) office prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy.
- The affordable housing unit in a small multi-family affordable structure shall not be used as a short-term rental. The affordable housing unit in a small multi-family affordable structure also shall not be used as the owner's residence.
- No more than one (1) unit of the total units in a development shall be permitted as a short-term rental. Any use of that one (1) unit of the small multi-family affordable development as a short-term rental shall be subject to all short-term rental requirements of the CZO and City Code. No new short-term rental permissions are associated with the use of small multi-family affordable development.
Ord. No. 28,911, §8, January 6, 2022, Zoning Docket 084/21