New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/28/2023 10:33:05 AM
19.4.A.19 Lower Algiers Rural Protection Interim Zoning District
A. Intent of District
The intent of the IZD is to temporarily prohibit the development of multi-family residential homes in S-RM1 Multi-Family Zoning Districts and commercial development in S-B2 Pedestrian-Oriented Corridor Business District in order to allow for appropriate impact studies regarding drainage, road and utility infrastructure, municipal services for fire, police, emergency response services, and other public safety considerations and an environmental impact analysis. The intent of the IZD is to utilize these studies to allow for the appropriate development within the district and the adoption of appropriate building design standards to promote the general health, safety, and welfare of the community.
The IZD applies to all properties currently zoned S-RM1 Multi-Family Residential District and S-B2 Pedestrian-Oriented Corridor Business District generally bounded by the Intercoastal Waterway, the Mississippi River, the Donner Canal, and Delacroix Road.
C. Prohibited Uses
The following uses are prohibited:
a. Multi-family residential dwellings.
b. Commercial uses.
D. Appeal Procedure
Appeals shall be submitted to the Executive Director of the City Planning commission, whose staff shall review and make recommendations relative to the appeal within sixty (60) days of receipt, utilizing the following standards and criteria:
1. Is the requested appeal compatible with the surrounding land uses and structures?
2. Does the requested appeal provide for an efficient use of land?
3. Will granting the requested appeal increase traffic and safety hazards?
4. Does the requested appeal provide for an efficient parking layout?
5. Will the requested appeal increase community environmental impacts?
6. Does the requested appeal preserve maximum tree canopy?
Initiated by Motion No. M-22-447; Zoning Docket 98/22; Adopted by Ord. No. 29,365 M.C.S., Mar. 19, 2023