New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/28/2023 9:16:54 AM
19.4.A.10 Vieux Carre Height Interim Zoning District (Expired 01/12/22)
A. Intent of the District
The intent of the Vieux Carré Height Interim Zoning District is to modify the maximum building height regulations to preserve the historic development pattern of the Vieux Carré.
The Vieux Carré Height Interim Zoning District applies to the VCR-1 Vieux Carré Residential District, VCR-2 Vieux Carré Residential District, VCC-1 Vieux Carré Commercial District, VCC-2 Vieux Carré Commercial District, VCE Vieux Carré Entertainment District, VCE-1 Vieux Carré Entertainment District, VCS Vieux Carré Service District, VCS-1 Vieux Carré Service District, and VCP Vieux Carré Park District.
C. Building Height Limitations
The maximum building height shall be limited to the current height of the existing structure, as defined by Article 26, or if the property is currently undeveloped or vacant, either of the following methods shall be used to calculate the maximum height; however, in no case shall the building height exceed fifty (50) feet. Existing structures are ineligible for increases to building height using these methods:
- The height of the previous structure, as indicated on the most recent survey or Sanborn maps; or
- The average of the height of the adjacent principal structures on either side. Averaging is based on the two (2) adjacent lots, or in the case of a corner lot, two (2) neighboring lots on the same blockface. In the case of a lot configuration where only one (1) lot is available for averaging, the maximum building height is that of the adjacent lot.
D. Appeal Procedure
Appeals shall be submitted to the Executive Director of the City Planning Commission, whose staff shall review, in consultation with the staff of the Vieux Carré Commission regarding appropriateness and impacts to the tout ensemble, and make recommendations relative to the appeal within sixty (60) days of receipt of a complete application, utilizing the following review standards:
- Is the requested appeal compatible with the surrounding structures in terms of height, mass, and lot coverage?
- Would the requested appeal adversely affect the existing development patterns on the subject blockface(s)?
- Do special conditions and circumstances exist that are peculiar to the land or structure involved and are not generally applicable to other lands or structures in the same district? The special conditions do not result from the actions of the applicant or any other person who may have had an interest in the property.
Every appeal shall be made on the forms provided by the City and shall be accompanied by the payment of the appropriate filing fee and the data required in such form. The Executive Director of the City Planning Commission may request from the appellant or applicant such additional information and data as may be required to fully advise the Council, whether such information and data is called for by the official forms or not. Proposed building heights that exceed 50 feet cannot appeal the IZD but shall instead file a variance application with the Board of Zoning Adjustments in accordance with Article 4, Section 4.6. The Council shall have sixty (60) days from receipt of recommendation to approve, deny, or modify the appeal recommendation by motion.
Initiated by Motion No. M-19-498; Zoning Docket 18/20; Adopted by Ord. No. 28,410 M.C.S., July 22, 2020; Extended by Ord. No. 28,719 M.C.S. until Jan. 12, 2022