New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 9/28/2023 8:35:38 AM
19.4.A.12 Lower Ninth Ward Off-Street Parking Interim Zoning District (EXPIRED 01/21/22)
- Intent: The intent of the Lower Ninth Ward Off-street Parking Interim Zoning District is to establish off-street parking requirements for the redevelopment of lots in the Lower ninth Ward neighborhood.
- Boundaries: This interim zoning district applies to the areas currently zoned HU-RD2 Historic Urban Two-Family Residential District or HU-MU Historic Urban Neighborhood Mixed Use District in the area generally bound by N. Rampart Street, the Industrial Canal, Florida Avenue, and the Orleans/St. Bernard Parish line.
- Off-street Parking Requirements:
- All two-family dwellings on lots forty-six (46) feet or less will be required to provide (1) off-street parking space.
- All single and two-family dwellings on lots of thirty-five (35) feet or less in lot width are not required to provide off-street parking
- The applicable Exemptions and Flexibilities provided in Section 22.5 of the CZO shall still be applicable to dwellings and dwelling units within the boundaries of this IZD.
- Tree Planting Requirements:
- On any lot where the development of a single or two-family dwelling is taking advantage of the reduced parking requirement afforded through this IZD, a front yard tree planting shall be required if a front yard depth of five feet (5 ft.) or more is provided. If the front yard to be provided is twenty feet (20 ft.) in depth or greater, one (1) shade tree for every forty feet (40 ft.) of lot width shall be planted. If the front yard to be provided is between five feet (5 ft.) and twenty feet (20 ft.) one ornamental tree for every twenty-five feet (25 ft.) of lot width shall be planted. If the front yard is between zero feet (0 ft.) and five feet (5 ft.), street trees shall be planted in accordance with specifications of and approval by the Department of Parks and Parkways. Shade trees are defined as having a height of forty feet (40 ft.) and over at maturity; ornamental trees are defined as having a height of less than forty feet (40 ft.) at maturity. Trees shall be planted at sizes in accordance with Section 23.5.C of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance. If front yard tree planting is not feasible, street trees shall be planted in lieu of front yard trees in accordance with specifications of and approval by the Department of Parks & Parkways.
- Front Yard Requirement:
- Within the IZD, the front yard build-to line shall be ten feet (10 ft.) with a permitted variation of plus or minus three feet (3 ft.) in order to provide variation on the block face, where less than 50% of the lots on the blockface are currently developed. If 50% or more of the lots on the blockface are developed, the front yard setback may be less than ten feet (with 3 ft. variation) if calculated by one of the other methods allowed by the underlying zoning ordinance.
- Appeal Procedure: Appeals shall be submitted to the Executive Director of the City Planning Commission, whose staff shall review and make recommendations relative to the appeal within sixty days of receipt. The Council shall have sixty (60) days from receipt of recommendation to approve, deny or modify the appeal recommendation by motion.
Initiated by Motion No. M-20-242; Zoning Docket 78/20; Adopted by Ord. No. 28,576 M.C.S., Jan 21, 2021