New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Printed: 12/11/2023 12:10:26 AM
18.24.D.2 Required On-Site Public Open Space
To establish publicly accessible open space, the following standards in subsection “a.” shall apply to the areas described in subsections b and c below:
a. Public Park and Plaza
- Parks or plazas shall be open to the sky, except for arbors, trellises or small pedestrian-oriented structures.
- Parks or plazas shall have a minimum site area of two-thousand five-hundred (2,500) square feet per square.
- At least twenty percent (20%) of the park or plaza shall consist of landscaping.
- A minimum of one (1) linear foot of seating area shall be provided for each thirty (30) square feet of park or plaza.
- All parks or plazas shall be visible from and connected to the nearest sidewalk with preference given to corner locations that maximize pedestrian access.
- Parks or plazas shall be designed in accordance with ADA accessibility requirements. No plaza may be more than three (3) feet above the adjacent sidewalk level.
- Parks or plazas shall be open to the public at minimum during the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. daily. A plaque two (2) feet by four (4) feet in area shall be displayed at all entrances stating the hours of public use unless the park or plaza is open 24 hours per day.
- Plazas shall be located so that they receive natural light during a portion of the day.
b. For the properties bounded by Henderson Street, Convention Center Boulevard, Orange Street, and Tchoupitoulas Street, a minimum of two-hundred (200) feet of the street frontage along Convention Center Boulevard shall exceed the maximum Front Yard Requirement as defined within Table 18-2: Bulk and Yard Regulations to provide publicly accessible open space with amenities such as, but not limited to, landscaped public open space, public art, mural, dog park, transit shelter, public rooftop access, outdoor seating of a restaurant, or public plaza subject to the Public Plaza Standards and Guidelines contained within Article 18.24.D.2.a.
c. For the properties bounded by Henderson Street, Convention Center Boulevard, Orange Street, and Front Street, the Front Yard along Convention Center Boulevard shall be publicly accessible open space with amenities such as, but not limited to, landscaped public open space, public art, mural, dog park, transit shelter, public rooftop access, outdoor seating of a restaurant, or public plaza.